Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Internship....before.. during and after

Being a student teacher, I expected that I would be dealing with special children-children who may be slow learners and always had misbehaviors and tantrums. I never thought that I would be assigned to teach children with visual impairment. But since I chose That disability among others, I expected that I would learn more in Braille. I expected that they would step on my foot. I predicted that That would test my patience and flexibility as a teacher. I anticipated that I would had a meaningful conversation with them because though they loss their sense of sight, they were still mentally good. I expected that I would learn something from their experiences. I also had some questions about children with hearing impairment, which I was very much curious. And I expected that they would answer all these. I knew that quarrels and tantrums were inevitable and I had to attend to those things. Most of all, I expected that there would be meaningful learning experiences among us and they would love and respect me as their real, permanent teacher.

With my cooperating teacher, I expected that she would act as the coordinator between the teacher training institution and the cooperating school in the execution of the training program. I anticipated that she was ready to give me constructive criticisms and advices. I expected that she would help me even in the worst problem I would encounter. I anticipated that she would give me tips in dealing with some classroom situations. I expected that she would be approachable and ready to lend her hand whenever I need her help. I expected that I would work with other people like the school administrator and I should be courteous in dealing with them. I expected that we would had a good working relationship.

I hoped that my cooperating school, the Rosario Elementary School- SPED Center would prepare me as a special education teacher. I expected that the school would open my eyes into the real world of teaching especially when dealing with special children. I expected that the school would train me so that as That internship ends, I would be ready to pursue my career. I hoped that as my practice teaching ended, I would be loaded with so many experiences, which molded me as a person. I would be loaded with different experiences and I know that I would learn from them.

I anticipated that my practice teaching would not be an easy one. Since the school was too far from our house, I anticipated that the fare would be more expensive. I anticipated that I would sleep late at night, wake up early in the morning or worst, there would be sleepless nights. I anticipated that everyday would be a tiring day for me.

I also expected that That internship would be exciting and enjoyable experience. I expected that all my experiences here would develop me as an individual and as a teacher. I anticipated that it would enable me to improve my personality and teaching strategies. I expected that it would influence some of my perceptions in life. And that it would give me a big impact physically, emotionally, spiritually and socially.

I expected that my whole teaching experiences would open my eyes into the real world of teaching. I anticipated that these experiences would motivate me to strive harder and pursue my dreams.

Teaching which had been perceived as the lowly profession was then considered widely as the noblest profession. It was the profession of dedicated educators responding to the urgent call of molding and transforming the youth so that they would become useful members and active citizens of the nation

To prepare the aspirant teacher for a successful teaching profession, student teaching was a requirement to gain experiences, which were utmost, important for a teacher. It provided deep experiences, insights, and the art of being educator in every aspect. It was a great challenge and opportunity for the student teacher to get acquainted with the field of her specialization.

One would be burdened with all the works of the teacher from the smallest routine to the heaviest task. That was the chance for the student teacher to develop her as she encounters the intricacies of actual teaching—its responsibilities frustration, problems, joys ands satisfaction—derived during the job. All of these contributed to the effectiveness and happiness of being an educator. However, he should know how to establish harmonious relationship with the pupils, parent, co-teachers and other school personnel

The primary goal of special education was Good citizenship. We had to develop the child was to develop the children at their functioning level. They would be functional if it made the child more independent, easily cared for and not a burden of the community.

My 13 weeks of internship in Rosario Elementary School - SPED Center was truly an enjoyable and memorable one. There was a very warm welcome. I felt that we were accepted with smiles from the start until the end of our practice teaching.

People viewed special children as crazy or sometimes harmful. But the truth was, they were lovable, affectionate and harmless in my internship days, I learned that these children with visual impairment I handled were just like any other children. They also needed love, care and attention. They would also babble stories and you just had to listen to them. They also loved to play and most of all, the value friendships as well. It was like a give and take relationship. If you showed them you love them, they would love you back. If you care for them, they would care for you even more. I gave them respect as I was respected.

In my practice teaching, the different experiences I had taught me many things. Unknowingly, I learned to deal with these children, got attached to them and attended to their needs. It taught me on how to be a better teacher and most of all, a better person. As i was teaching them, I realized that they were also teaching something to me. A give and take relationship.

I became more knowledgeable in Braille, which was very much important in teaching children with visual impairment. I owed this to my cooperating teacher who patiently taught me in doing those things. I learned some techniques and strategies in teaching my lesson. Positive rewards would always be useful.

I realized that children with visual impairment love tactile activities or activities that would enable them to use their hands. They enjoyed outdoor activities very much. As a teacher, I learned how to be clear, consistent and concise with what I was saying specially if I would impose rules in the classroom. If not, I would be taken for granted. Rules were rules. I realized that I should always consider the needs interests and abilities of the learners in all my lesson.

I saw the worth of what I am doing. Every moments we had shared were truly priceless. It was a challenging yet fulfilling task. I learned that a student teacher should extend as much help to them but not to the point of making those special learners feel that they were helpless. What is important is to develop them to the fullest whatever abilities these special learners have and not to concentrate on what they lack. They, too, can also excel and be a productive member of the society. Always remember Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence Theory.

In the end, I learned that a teacher could be the most influential in the classroom. They can touch hearts and at the same time, teach minds. No matter how I got tired and exhausted in the end of the day, receiving smiles and hugs from them made all my efforts and hardships worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment